Wednesday 16 September 2009

Hope?

My friend, after reading my blog last night, was so angry he decided to take matters into his own hands. Armed with the information from my blog and a few details from me he took time off work and drove to my town this morning and walked into the Social Work Dept with all guns blazing. He did what my friends around me, my mother in law and my family failed to do for me and the kids. He cared enough to stand up for me. He spoke to the duty worker and explained the situation and they are saying someone will get in touch today. Turns out though they sent someone out to the house yesterday and got no answer. What idiot goes to a house when the reason they are going is because the person is obviously bed bound and knocks on the door? What was I expected to do? Run down the stairs and answer it? Surely a phone call first would have been more sensible but when does sense and the Social Work ever come into the same sentence? Unfortunately my son had been out for a job interview yesterday and he wasn't there to get the door and since I'm so doped up on painkillers I doze off all the time and I never heard it. So fingers crossed they will phone or come today. I have got the cold just now so in a way it's a blessing as I cant smell myself but god knows what the kids are smelling lol. I just long for a bath.

I feel so much gratitude to my friend for what he did for us today. I will be forever in his debt. One day I hope if he ever needs me I can be there for him. I don't really believe in fairy tales but this time I do cos my knight in shining armour rode to my rescue. Sometimes when you think no one gives a shit you might just get a surprise cos your knight in shining armour might be just around the corner ready to come to your rescue :)

Talking about my son and his interview has reminded me of another injustice in the system. When my son got kicked out of college for taking too much time off to look after me I lost my Children's Tax Credits for him. My son and I went to the Job centre and asked what benefits he could get and we were told he was entitled to nothing. His child benefit would continue for 10 more weeks and that was what I was supposed to keep him on. That's about £14 a week!!!! I had lost £54 a week when his benefits stopped. I got myself pretty stressed about this and my son actually stopped eating he felt so bad. Poor guy. Guess it maybe played a part in the stress that pushed him over the edge. We tried to get him registered as my carer but they would have taken the money off of my Severe Disability payment and given it to him so we would have been no better off. He is also not entitled to Income Support till he turns 18. Eventually we got a 10 week extension on the Children's tax Credits but that runs out at the end of the month and as a family we are going to find ourselves short of £294 a month and there seems to be nothing we can do about it. Until he either gets a job or turns 18 we get no money for him. Getting a job is a double edged sword cos I need him to look after me but we also need the money. At this interview yesterday they asked him about his college course and what grade he got and he was honest and admitted he never completed college cos of looking after me. That was it. Interview over. Who wants to employ someone who needs to take time off to look after their mother? I don't know what the answer is. It's just another worry

Update: Social Services did not come today. It's beyond belief :(

No comments:

Post a Comment